The Volharding.

1 comment
Hello

So this weekend I got to go on the a very old Dutch sailing barge called the Volharding.
 We drove up to very near Colchester to a place called Maldon and Hythe Quay where we were all quite surprised by the size of the ship itself, I had to take this image off the Volharding website as I wasn't able to get any pictures of it with the sails up.
We were on the boat all of Saturday and most of Sunday morning.
The skipper Jeff/Geoff, why does a name need more that one spelling?? and his number 1, John, also Ross and Lola who were the crew who looked after us all and kept us from falling overboard.. which was bad. 

Even though it was a relaxing couple of days it was also a chance to do some things we may have never otherwise been able to do, for example I helped raise the sails and was named the official sail tie holder.. yep.
Here are the ropes that operated all the sails and the boom which was the barrier that helped the skipper navigate the direction of the boat and it often moved with the wind to keep the ship straight.


On the bus drive up to Maldon, Matt asked who wanted to wear the Admirals hat, of course no one but myself volunteered so I got to wear it the whole trip!
Now normally I am never or very rarely in photos as I am always the one taking them but with my camera I can flip up the screen and take the odd selfie.. 








I took over 300 photos so cutting them down was not easy but I think these were the best out of those!
The whole trip was amazing, we had so much fun and I learnt a lot of nautical terms that are now buried in the depths of my memory.. 

So thank you to the Volharding team and the Shine Care group for taking us on the ship!

Have you been sailing?

Thanks for reading.

Hannah :) xo

SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home
CUSTOM BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig